Saturday 5 July 2014

June 2014 Wrap-Up

June has been a bit of a tough month - as a result, I've just been coasting a bit with the blog.  Still, there were some books read, and a fair few reviews as well...

*****
Total Books Read: 6

Year-to-Date: 62

New: 4

Rereads: 2

From the Shelves: 2
Review Copies: 4
From the Library: 0
On the Kindle: 1 (1 review copy)

Novels: 2
Novellas: 1
Short Stories: 1
Non-Fiction: 2

Non-English Language: 4 (3 Korean, Spanish)
In Original Language: 0
Aussie Author Challenge: 0 (0/3)
Japanese Literature Challenge 8: 0 (1/1)

*****
Books reviewed in June were:
1) I'll Be Right There by Kyung-sook Shin
2) Tirza by Arnon Grunberg
3) The House with a Sunken Courtyard by Kim Won-il
4) Granta 127: Japan, ed. Yuka Igarashi
5) Our Twisted Hero by Yi Mun-yol
6) Black Flower by Kim Young-ha
7) The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
8) Modern Korean Fiction, ed. Bruce Fulton & Youngmin Kim
9) All Played Out by Pete Davies

Tony's Turkey for June is: Nothing

Nothing disappointed me in June - that's the kind of month I like :)

Tony's Recommendation for June is:
Arnon Grunberg's Tirza

There were some great books here, and it's hard to single any out.  The two collections were excellent, and the other four Korean books were all entertaining.  All Played Out was an enjoyable trip down memory lane, while Elena Ferrante is always top-class.  However, Tirza is a horrible, twisted book - and a very, very good one to boot :)

*****

I'm not going to make any promises for July, but as Spanish-Language Literature Month is around the corner, I'll do my best to get a couple read from my TBR pile.  As I said, though - no promises ;)